Monday, October 2, 2017

Customised 1:1 scale Star Wars Jedi pilot helmet

Most recently I was commissioned to design and paint an actual size (1:1 scale) helicopter pilot's helmet as a gift to someone important who was leaving his place of work and the people there felt that he deserved to be sent off with something meaningful, something to remind him of the many years of dedication and service he had given to his organisation. When the helmet was first handed to me, it was as plain and green as it could be (see pics in the post), totally nondescript as was the original intent. My job was to turn it around and make it stand out and carry the right message, to honor the person who once went by the callsign "Jedi". So I did and added a nice display case to showcase the helmet too.


I don't think the Jedi ever wore helmets when they flew their ships so I had to ask myself the question: what if the Jedi did wear helmets, how would the helmets look like in terms of design? There was a restriction in terms of colors because the actual helicopter that callsign "Jedi" flew were red and white so we kept to the color scheme which was also very similar to the helmets the X-Wing pilots wore in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Check out the action figure review of Sideshow Collectibles "Star Wars" 1:6 scale Luke Skywalker Red Five X-Wing Pilot figure posted on my toy blog HERE.

Scroll down to see the rest of the pictures.
Click on them for bigger and better views.


Original Helicopter Pilot helmet in dull green and black


Helicopter helmet redesigned with "Jedi" theme


This was certainly a FUN project and one that I quite enjoyed doing. It reminded me of the time when I was given the privilege to redesign the Singapore Toy, Game & Comic Convention (STGCC) logo back in 2011 - you can check out the toy blog post HERE. A fellow toy collector even made me a paper toy of the logo I designed :) - see the pics HERE.

1 comment:

Rashpal said...

Wow, outstanding job!